Pan-Fried JOF Yellow Perch in Cracker Crumb Coating
- 1 lb. thawed JOF Yellow Perch fillets (Domestic or European)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 cups finely crushed soda cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, plus 4 tbsp. for deglazing
- 1 lemon, plus extra lemon wedges for serving
How to Cook
- Thaw JOF Yellow Perch fillets either overnight in refrigerator or under cold, running water.
- In 2 separate, shallow bowls, do the following:
Bowl 1: Flour, salt and black pepper mixture plus paprika or other spices as desired
Bowl 2 : Eggs- lightly whisked.
Bowl 3: Cracker crumbs or panko crumbs.
- Dip each fillet into the flour mixture, then the egg mixture and then the crumbs, coating each side of the fillet completely during each of these 3 steps.
- Heat a fry pan to medium high. Melt the 1/2 cup butter.
- Place a coated fillet in the hot pan and cook until golden brown (approx. 3 minutes per side). Flip fillet to cook the second side.
- Remove fillet and drain on a paper towel before serving. Fry remaining fillets, adding butter to the pan between fillets if necessary.
- When all the fillets are cooked, add 4 tbsp. of butter to the hot fry pan and squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon. Stir the butter and juice to loosen the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Plate the browned perch fillets and pour the hot sauce over them. Serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy!!